Sustaining Engineer (Database/C++/Linux)
Overview: Working on the Calpont Support and Sustaining Engineering team, you will apply your customer support and software engineering skills to contribute to the successful support and deployment of Calpont’s market leading analytics database technologies.
Calpont’s InfiniDB Enterprise columnar database has been built to handle the demanding workloads generated in business intelligence, data warehousing and big data analytics environments. With a linearly scalable column-oriented architecture at its core, InfiniDB is enabling organizations across a wide range of industries to leverage the best database the industry has to offer for keeping up with the pace of business.
Key Responsibilities: You will work as an integral member of a Sustaining team that provides world-class 24x7 support, troubleshooting, and software fixes, etc. to current and prospective Calpont customers. You will work closely with technical account managers, development engineers, and quality assurance engineers. You will use available tools to investigate, reproduce, troubleshoot, and resolve technical issues. You will have to manage workload to ensure that all customer issues are timely handled and driven to resolution.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, technical and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information with customers
- Prior experience in customer support and/or sustaining
- Strong general programming and problem solving skills.
- Proactive nature willing to take initiative and seek challenges in technical areas that may be completely new
- Ability to trace down and troubleshoot problems within a system
- Work well both individually and as a productive member of a Sustaining team.
- Knowledgeable in database systems and concepts including SQL, PL/SQL, etc.
- Proficiency in C++ and associated base frameworks (STL, etc.)
- Proficiency in a Linux Operating System such as Redhat, Debian, Ubuntu, etc.
- Experience with at least one scripting language (Perl, Python, etc.) is a plus
- Advanced understanding of MySQL database concepts and structures a plus
- Experience with real time, embedded, multithreaded applications is a plus
Education: Requires a BS or MS in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or other highly related major and excellent GPA.